Saturday, September 26, 2015

Google Classroom...The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread

Plain and simple, Google Classroom has been my lifesaver this year.  I am new to Classroom but I am highly impressed with this platform and how easy it has been to incorporate into my classes.  I am learning more about Classroom everyday by following Alice Keeler's blog.  

As I stated, I am new to Classroom, but I would like to share how I have been using it in the first month of school.  
  • Announcements: Classroom has a stream page where teachers and students (if you give them access) can post announcements.  I post when projects are due, upcoming tests, or any changes students might need to know.

  • Post Resources: Before Classroom, I would email or post resources on my website.  That was fine, but students would forget to look on my website, state it wasn't there, or not find it in a timely manner.  With Classroom, I have one central location for students to look.  Ideally, I want students to check my Classroom everyday for assignments, resources, and announcements, but Classroom is relatively new for them as well. I'm sure in another month, it will be second nature for them to check it daily.
  • Works with Google Drive: We have been a 1:1 school for almost 2 years, so I have most assignments in a digital format.  I can browse and attach anything in my Drive (Docs, Slides, Sheets, etc.) to an assignment or announcement to share with students. 
  • Assignments: I post most of my assignments in Classroom.  Students log into Classroom, find the assignment, open and complete the work, then turn it in.  I love the "turn in" feature in Classroom.  When a student is done with their assignment, they click the "turn in" button.  The assignment will automatically go to a folder within my Google Drive.  Before I used Classroom, I would share a Google Doc with students, they would make a copy, and share it back to me.  While that method worked, I would receive an additional 50 emails from my students that day.  Now, I do not receive those emails and I can quickly see how many students are done vs not done by going to that assignment in Classroom.  The one thing you need to remember when adding an assignment is what kind of viewing/editing privileges you are giving the students. 
  • Post discussion questions: First, you can elect three different settings as far as student response.  1) They can post and comment within Google Classroom, 2) they can comment on a teacher's post, but can't create their own post, or 3) only the teacher can comment and post.  I allow my students to post and comment, because I want this to be a communication board.  
  • Makes it easier when I'm gone: This past week I had my wisdom teeth removed and took a few days off.  Preparing for a sub has never been easier.  I loaded the assignments, descriptions, and resources into each class and set the due date.  If the students had any questions, they would comment on the assignment or create a post.  I would then receive an email notification if someone would comment/post, and I would be able to log in and help the students. 
  • Makes it easier when students are gone: When students ask, "I was gone yesterday, what did I miss?"  The answer is usually, "Look in Classroom."  Ideally, I would like to get to the point when a student is absent, they automatically go to Classroom and complete any assignment that might be posted.  That way, when they return, they are not behind. (I know....probably not going to happen, but I can dream, right?)  
  • Organization: I love how Classroom keeps me organized. Everything is in one centralized location. 
If you are new to Classroom, it only takes a few minutes to set up.  Here is a short video overview of Google Classroom.


Alice Keeler has an amazing blog on Google Classroom.  If you would like to learn more about Classroom, her blog is a great starting point.   

If you aren't using Google Classroom, I highly recommend you try it.  Here are 10 Things to Start with in Google Classroom.

Since I am relatively new to Google Classroom, I would love to hear how you are using it in your classroom.  How are you using it?  What have been your successes and failures?  What should I try next in Classroom?

4 comments:

  1. I am trying out Classroom in one of my three classes this year. Unfortunately, it is not cooperating well with the iPads so far. I have had some glitches with students being unable to open the documents I post, or their turned in assignments from Drive show up as empty documents on Classroom. Despite that, I like the work flow and ease of use. I really like the ability to grade on Classroom and then create a spreadsheet for easy transfer into my gradebook. Overall, I love the idea behind Classroom, and I can't wait for Apple and Google to work out their differences and cooperate better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to explore classroom more, unfortunately it is blocked at our organization.
    I will have to follow you to hear about all the things it does.
    Does it have a way to track students grades, like a grade book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, I agree that Google Classroom app is awesome. I'm only disappointed that it's not available for organizations other than .edu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne, I agree that Google Classroom app is awesome. I'm only disappointed that it's not available for organizations other than .edu.

    ReplyDelete